Baseball Training For Power Hitting
By guest author: Vic Read
Watching a 5' 8", 160 pound shortstop hit a 400 foot bomb is always amazing. Sure, the 6' 4", 235 pound first baseman has the natural strength to put the ball out of the yard, but how does the smaller player do it? What does he possess to produce such power? And how do some larger players consistently hit for distance, while others just have the occasional home run?
The three main components to hitting the baseball consistently and for distance are:
1. Proper mechanics - feet comfortably spread apart, hands back, and a smooth transfer from load to swing.
2. Good eye-hand coordination - seeing the ball all the way in and watching the ball hit the bat.
3. Good bat speed - the faster the bat, the faster the ball flies out.
Each one of these components can be improved upon by every baseball player.
1. Proper Mechanics - Watch some major league games and check out the different styles of batting stance. Then grab a bat and see what is most comfortable for you. Being tense at the plate cuts down on your reaction time. And when that fastball is coming in, you have to be relaxed and ready to release the perfect swing. Once you have found a stance you like, go hit off the tee and then take some cuts at a batting cage and continue to refine your mechanics. Once you like your stance, then do some research and learn about loading up, staying back on the ball and swinging thru the pitch.
2. Good eye-hand coordination - soft toss, which is hitting a ball into a net when tossed by someone from a short distance, is a good tool to work on and improve your eye-hand coordination. Have the person toss the ball at different angles and different locations. Start off with slow tosses, and then increase the speed. Read more.
Thanks to our sponsors:
Derek Jeter Hurricane Hitting Machine
Derek Jeter Hurricane Machine Training Blog
HurricaneMachine.com - Links
---15 Reasons To Buy a Hurricane Trainer
---6 Questions Often Asked By Customers
---Message to Parents From Coach Nick
---Hurricane Hitting Machine Drills
---20-Minute Hurricane Batting Practice Workout
---Hurricane Hitting Machine Video Demo Clips
Baseball2u.com has a one of the internet's largest selections of baseball coaching and training dvds
Advanced Youth Baseball Training Tips and Techiques
The Advances Youth Baseball Training Blog features daily posts with free articles on coaching youth baseball, advanced youth baseball drills, and advanced tips covering all aspects of youth baseball training. Our posts provide you with free baseball youth baseball hitting drills, youth baseball pitching drills, defensive drills for youth baseball and much more. Make sure to save or bookmark this site so that you can visit it regularly for baseball coaching articles.